Monday 18 November 2013

Dino Commission

I’m just starting work on a new commission from Tŷ Cerdd, the National Music Centre for Wales. It’s for narrator and the Welsh Brass Trio for young children, from age four upwards. The words are being written and narrated by Francesca Kay whose work I have admired for ages. Francesca has already written some fantastic children’s pieces with Mervyn Burtch and Gareth Wood. We used to work together on the educational projects for the Lower Machen Festival and last year I set her three winter haiku for soprano and piano.


The text for this is very different though: it’s all about dinosaurs and the problems that come up when a stegosaurus falls asleep on the road, blocking the traffic. Expect something very different from my most recent scores…


At a recent meeting Charlotte Griffin from Tŷ Cerdd gave me three of her young son’s miniature dinosaurs – they are now sitting on my piano willing me to write the music.


Follow Francesca Kay’s blog at www.francescakay.blogspot.co.uk  and see her website at www.francescakay.co.uk


2 comments:

  1. I like the way the sauropod actually looks as though its reading the music!

    ReplyDelete
  2. More a case of wondering what it is ...

    ReplyDelete